Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Favorite Comedy Albums

I recently listened to Bill Cosby's legendary stand-up album "To Russell, My Brother Whom I Slept With." Now, I consider this the best stand-up album ever, and a lot of other comedy fans would agree. This got me thinking, though, about my other favorite albums, and so I am going to list here some of my favorite stand-up albums of all time. For the purpose of variety, I am only going to include one album from each comedian, otherwise this list would be half Cosby and half Steve Martin. This is not a definitive list either- it is just so you folks can get an idea of my taste.

Louis CK's "Live at the Beacon Theater"

I could have picked any one of CK's albums, not only because they are all great, but they are all very similar. CK is a great comedian because he is so honest and he has developed such a relatable persona. It really comes through on this album, whether he is talking about how much he hates playing board games with his kids or how sick he is of having constant sexual thoughts. This album will make you laugh out loud from start to finish, but it will also make you reconsider some of your everyday behaviors. That's the genius of Louis CK: he knows exactly what is wrong with the average American, and he knows how to make that funny.

John Mulaney's "New In Town"

Mulaney has been working in the comedy world for several years, both as a stand-up comic and a writer for SNL, but he has just recently broken into the mainstream. Mulaney's great strength is that he is eminently likable. His charming, small-town sissy persona is hilarious and spot-on. The standout track on this album is "The Xanax Story," a nine-minute bit in which Mulaney relates how his attempt to get a Xanax prescription goes awry. I don't want to spoil it, but it takes a left turn and becomes one of the funniest long-form bits of all time. Mulaney is probably the best modern storytelling comic. He knows how to do long bits without boring the audience. He knows exactly where to place punchlines to keep the audience engaged, and this talent shows on "New in Town."

Steve Martin's "Wild and Crazy Guy"

Nobody does absurd stand-up like Steve Martin. This is his strongest album and also his most famous. Martin knew how to make audiences laugh, and he would do anything to do it (without coming off as hackish). Whether it's singing his hit song "King Tut," or telling a joke about lesbians to a baby, Martin is an absolute force on this album. He does not let up and you will be struggling to catch your breath by the end of it. Martin is a huge influence on my comedic sensibilities. Jokes come at an incredible pace and he does not stay on any one topic for too long. Martin has had a huge influence on modern comedy (especially absurd acts like Kristen Schaal) and this album shows why.

Bill Cosby's "To Russell, My Brother Whom I Slept With"

This album is truly my favorite stand-up performance of all time. In the 26-minute title track about Cosby and his brother avoiding sleep one night, Cosby hits all the marks of a great stand-up bit. His timing is flawless, his storytelling is vivid and funny, and the ending is arguably the greatest callback in stand-up history. I have listened to this album multiple times and it only gets funnier with each listen. Though the bit is long, it is never boring. Cosby is just naturally funny, and so the almost half an hour long bit just flies by. Cosby knew exactly how to work an audience and this performance is a master class. Any comedy fan should listen to this album, and any hopeful comedian should study it.
My prized possession, "To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With" on vinyl.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool! Need to catch up on some albums, looks like. Never seen Cosby's stand-up before, his presence relegated solely to my viewings of random episodes of the Cosby Show here or there. Haven't heard of John Mulaney either. Obvioulsy, I need to get along with my comedy homework. Great post - illuminating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! If you like the Cosby Show, you'll love his stand-up. The humor is very similar. I recommend the episode "Shakespeare," from season 4. It's excellent.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the new recommendations that will now probably take up the next few hours of my life. I love comedians, especially stand-up. Have you ever seen the Here & Now special Ellen Degeneres does? It's from the early 2000's and definitely is towards the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I haven't seen that special, but I'll definitely have to check it out. I'm always looking for more comedy to watch!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of all of these albums. It's awesome seeing John Mulaney live, too; he doesn't repeat any of his jokes from his two albums! Also that Bill Cosby's routine on when he and his brother fought when they were going to sleep is one of (if not THE) best routines I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen two big-time comics live (Mulaney and CK), but Mulaney was definitely my favorite. Everything is just so tight and he tells stories so well.

      Delete
  4. I've seen most of these guys (although the specific acts you're talking about) and I think it's interesting that you call Cosby's routine your favorite, and that your list seems to really span across the past couple decades. The way comedy has evolved - in some ways- since Cosby's time, I feel, kind of reflects us as a society.

    Anyway, love how you write, definitely will be back for more!

    ReplyDelete